Let Cooking Planit INSPIRE you, help you SHOP, and lower your holiday stress levels by handling the COOKING specifics for you this Thanksgiving. We think about making cooking simple, everyday.
Classic mashed potatoes at their best. After you try this recipe, add any of your favorite flavors like blue cheese, caramelized onions, horseradish or truffle butter!
click to try this classic in Cooking Planit for free
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Place in a large pot. Fill the pot with cold water to cover the potatoes by about 1 inch. Place on the stove.
- Smash the garlic under the side of your chef’s knife to remove the peel. Place the smashed cloves in the pot with the potatoes.
- Turn the heat on high under the pot of potatoes. Proceed with next step as water comes to a boil.
- Once water is boiling, cook the potatoes until tender and easily fall apart when pierced with a fork, about 10-15 minutes.
- Cut the butter in cubes and place in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high in short 20-second increments until butter is melted.
- Once butter is melted, stir in heavy cream and microwave again, in short increments, until mixture is warm.
- Place the strained potatoes back in the pot and place the pot over medium heat. Cook out excess moisture, stirring often for about 3-5 minutes.
- Once potatoes are dried out, remove from heat and use a potato masher or a potato ricer to mash the potatoes until smooth.
- Once the potatoes are smooth, place back over low heat and pour in about 1/3 of the melted butter and cream mixture. Stir until the liquid is absorbed, then pour in another 1/3 of the mixture. Continue this process until all the butter and cream mixture is absorbed into the potatoes.
- Season the potatoes with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat. Cover until ready to serve.
- Transfer the garlic mashed potatoes to a serving bowl or dinner plates. Serve warm!