- 1 quart beef broth
- 1 quart water
- 1 medium onion, cut into eighths
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ cup long-grain rice
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- Combine the beef broth, water, onion and bay leaf. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Combine ground beef, rice, egg, oregano, garlic salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper and cumin in a large bowl and mix well. Shape mixture into 1-inch meatballs.
- Coat the meatballs with flour. Drop them into the boiling broth and cover. Reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring frequently, for 45 minutes.
- Add the potatoes to the soup and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender (about 1 hour). Remove the bay leaf. Season with remaining black pepper.
You can definitely add more vegetables like carrots to this.