Manicotti al Forno
- 12 uncooked manicotti pasta shells
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1 jar (26 oz) tomato pasta sauce
- 1 can diced tomatoes with Italian-style herbs, drained
- 1 egg
- 1 container (15 oz) ricotta cheese
- 3 cups shredded Italian cheese blend
- Heat over to 350 degrees. Cook pasta shells as directed on the package. Drain and rinse with cold water to cool.
- Cook sausage, garlic, and oregano until sausage is browned and drain. Stir in pasta sauce and tomatoes. Spread 1 cup of the meat sauce in a 13×9-inch glass baking dish.
- In a bowl, beat the egg. Stir in the ricotta cheese and 2 cups of the Italian cheese blend. Spoon cheese mixture into a food storage bag. Cut a hole in one bottom corner of the bag and squeeze the bag to pipt out about 1/4 cup of the cheese mixture in each pasta shell. Arrange stuffed shells over the meat sauce in the dish. Pour the remaining meat sauce evenly over the shells.
- Cover the dish with foil. Bake 35 – 40 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Top with remaining cup of Italian cheese blend. Bake uncovered 5 – 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle basil over the top before serving.