As a busy work at home mom, I know the struggles about finding quality time together. Even harder is feeding our children a healthy meal that they will actually eat.
Did you know that studies show that when you begin preparing your meal with rice, you end up with a meal that’s better for you? I personally love Uncle Ben’s Whole Grain rice, because it tastes awesome. My kids don’t know the difference between the whole grain and the white rice, and they are eating better and not even knowing it. That is why I wanted to tell you about Uncle Ben’s newest contest.
Uncle Ben’s has launched an exciting national contest called Ben’s Beginners! By entering the contest, you could win $20,000, along with a $50,000 grant towards a cafeteria makeover for your child’s school. In addition, you will have a chance to appear on The Rachael Ray show! Uncle Ben’s is calling for parents with children ages 5-12 to submit a 2-3 minute video of you cooking a rice-based dish with your children. For more info on the contest, please check out Ben’s Beginners on Facebook!
Here are a few of my tips for getting your kids to eat healthier:
1. Give you kids choices. My kids are way more inclined to eat something when they get to choose it. However, I make sure that their two choices are both healthy things! 🙂
2. Have your kids help cook dinner. I also have found that if my daughter gets to help cook dinner, she also will eat it.
3. Find out what your children’s school is teaching about nutrition. For Will, my 4 year old, they learned about healthy eating. For us, it made a natural segway into eating healthier at home. He is all about eating healthy and good things and even exercising now. As much as I drill that into his head, it always sounds better if they hear it from someone else like their teachers and friends!
4. Have your kids come grocery shopping with you. My 4 year old loves to pick out fruits for us to buy. The deal always is that if I buy it, you have to eat it. This seems to work well with my little one.
5. Make sure healthy snack are within reach. I always have a fruit bowl it. I make it super easy for the kids to grab a snack
There are so many ways to eat healthier in your home. How are you having your kids eat healthier?
I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Uncle Ben’s blogging program, for 6,000 My SocialMoms Rewards Points. For more information on how you can participate, click here.