Let Cooking Planit INSPIRE you, help you SHOP, and lower your holiday stress levels by handling the COOKING specifics for you this Thanksgiving. We think about making cooking simple, everyday.
Creamy, rich mashed potatoes become even more decadent with crumbled blue cheese. It will make any evening feel like a special occasion.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Place in a large pot, then fill the pot with cold water to cover the potatoes by about 1 inch. Place pot on the stove.
- Turn the heat on high under the pot of potatoes. Proceed with next step as water comes to a boil.
- Once water is boiling, cook the potatoes until tender and easily fall apart when pierced with a fork, about 10-15 minutes.
- Cut the butter in cubes and place in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high in short 20-second increments until butter is melted.
- Once butter is melted, stir in heavy cream and microwave again, in short increments, until mixture is warm.
- Place the strained potatoes back in the pot and place the pot over medium heat. Cook out excess moisture, stirring often for about 3-5 minutes.
- Once potatoes are dried out, remove from heat and use a potato masher or a potato ricer to mash the potatoes until smooth.
- Once the potatoes are smooth, place back over low heat and pour in about 1/3 of the melted butter and cream mixture. Stir until the liquid is absorbed, then pour in another 1/3 of the mixture. Continue this process until all the butter and cream mixture is absorbed into the potatoes.
- Stir the crumbled blue cheese into the potatoes, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat. Cover until ready to serve.
- Transfer potatoes to a serving dish or dinner plates. Serve warm!