This is one of my older recipes. You can easily use homemade sugar cookie dough or just store bought.
Easter Bonnet Cookies
- 1 package 18 oz refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 1 box 16 oz confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 6 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons meringue powder
- Food coloring
- 12 large marshmallows
- Pastel flower shaped candy decors
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare 24 round cookies according to the package directions. Place cookies on baking sheets. Bake cookies until golden brown (8 – 10 minutes). Cool on wire racks placed over waxed paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar, water, and meringue powder. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Divide glaze among several small bowls; tint with food coloring.
- Cut marshmallows in half horizontally. Place a marshmallow half cut side down in the center of each cookie. Spoon glaze over each cookie coating the marshmallow and cookie evenly. Let dry.
- Once dry, you can decorate the hats. The recipe I had for this had me making icing which I am just not good enough to do. I cheated and bought gel icing to decorate. DO NOT DO THIS. The gel never dries. The next time I will buy the regular icing to decorate with. With these hats, you can be as creative as you want. For St. Patrick’s Day, you can use the whole marshmallow and green glaze to make top hat cookies or use whole marshmallows and chocolate glaze to make pilgrims hats for Thanksgiving!