Recipe from the Recipe Rehab book
Crispy Beef Tacos
- 8 corn tortillas
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ¾ pound 90 percent lean ground beef
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 8-ouncecan low-sodium tomato sauce
- ½ cup fresh cilantro coarsely chopped
- 4 scallions white and green parts, chopped
- Toppings :
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- ½ cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 jalapeno halved lengthwise, seeded if desired, and sliced
- ¼ cup fat-free sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 300?F. Wrap the tortillas in damp paper towels and microwave on high for 30 seconds, until pliable. Discard the paper towels and coat the tortillas with nonstick spray.
- Fold the tortillas over the lip of a 13-by-9-inch baking dish with handles. Bake until crisp and firm, about 15 minutes.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion and garlic. Cook and stir for a few minutes, until soft. Add the beef, breaking the meat up with the back of a spoon, until cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the sun-dried tomato paste, red pepper flakes, oregano, and cumin, stirring to combine. Stir in the tomato sauce. Cook for another 5 minutes, until the mixture is thick. Remove from the heat and add the cilantro and scallions.
- To serve, put a couple of tablespoons of the meat mixture in a taco shell. Top with lettuce, cheese, jalapeno, and sour cream.