Thanks to RECIPE REHAB: 80 Delicious Recipes That Slash the Fat, Not the Flavor? for the recipe!
Horseradish Turkey Burgers with Pickled Onions and Jalapeño Mayo
- Pickled Onions:
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1 large red onion halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- Jalapeño Mayo:
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 jalapenos stemmed, halved lengthwise, and seeded
- 2 tablespoons fat-free vegetarian mayonnaise such as Nayonaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ cup whole wheat panko Japanese-style bread crumbs
- ½ cup skim milk
- 1 pound lean ground turkey such as Jennie-O Lean Ground Turkey
- 2 2-ounce links sweet Italian turkey sausage, such as Jennie-O Lean Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage, casings removed
- 2 scallions white and green parts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons jarred grated horseradish drained
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 whole grain hamburger buns halved and toasted
- ¼ cup crumbled light blue cheese
- 4 pieces iceberg lettuce
- To make the pickled onions, combine the vinegar, agave nectar, bay leaf, thyme, and peppercorns in a medium pot. Slowly bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally to dissolve the agave. Put the onions in a heatproof container; pour the hot vinegar over the top. The onions should be completely submerged in the liquid; put a small plate on top to weigh them down if necessary. Cover and cool to room temperature. Allow the onions to pickle for at least 15 minutes, or up to overnight (the longer, the better).
- To make the jalapeno mayo , coat a grill pan with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium-high heat or preheat a gas or charcoal grill and get it very hot. Put the jalapenos, cut side down, on the hot grill and cook until the chiles are charred on all sides, turning with tongs, about 5 minutes total. Remove the jalapenos from the grill (keeping it hot for the burgers); coarsely chop and put into a blender or food processor. Add the mayonnaise substitute and mustard. Blend until smooth. Set aside. RecipRehab_i_xoiv_1_242_7p_FM.indd 119 3/29/13 12:58 PM
- To make the burgers, in a small bowl soak the bread crumbs in the milk and set aside for
- minutes to allow them to absorb the liquid.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground turkey and turkey sausage. Add the wet bread crumbs, scallions, horseradish, and mustard. Mix gently by hand to combine, being careful not to overwork the meat. Gently hand-form the meat mixture into four burgers.
- Spray the grill pan or grill with another coating of nonstick spray and make sure it is still hot. Grill the burgers for 5 minutes per side, or until no longer pink in the middle and juices run clear. The burgers should turn easily without sticking. Remove them to a clean side plate so you have enough room to toast the buns. Toast the hamburger buns, cut side down, for 1 minute.
- To assemble, smear 1 tablespoon of the jalapeno mayo on the bottom half of each bun. Set the burger on top, followed by the cheese and the pickled onions. Lay a lettuce leaf on top and enclose with the other half of the bun.