Sometimes I really like having a cooking blog. Tonight is one of those nights since I am eating some very delicious Apple Pie Slices while I write this post out for you all.
If you read my personal blog, you will know that I recently lost over 80 lbs. I went off what I was doing in January, and I’ve been maintaining ever since. I like to play around with recipes to see how to make them healthier. This Apple Pie Slices recipe is made using Vi Shake Mix. Yes, the protein shake.
Just drinking their shakes can get boring after a while, so why not cook with it? You could probably replace the white sugar with stevia (or another sugar like that). I’ve seen several Vi Shake Mix recipes that all look way healthier than this. However, this is super yummy (and made me crave a scoop of ice cream to put on top which I didn’t!). As I have found, weight loss is accomplished with small changes in your life that you can continue to follow. This dessert will allow you to eat and not feel too guilty about having it!
Apple Pie Slices
- 2 1/2 cups ViSalus Vi -Shape Mix
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks butter
- 2 egg whites
- 6 apples - peeled cored and sliced (you can add more depending on how apply you want this)
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour (using the Vi -shake mix) a 9x9 inch pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, 2 tablespoons of sugar, and salt. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the egg yolks and 1/2 cup of milk. Stir into the flour mixture.
- Cover the inside of the pan with the dough. Spread dough with a light coating of egg white. Fill with sliced apples and sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on top. Spread the remaining dough on top of apples. Brush with a light coating of egg white.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until the crust is golden. In a small bowl, beat together the confectioners' sugar, salt, vanilla and milk until smooth. Drizzle over cooled bars, cut into squares.
This was such an easy replacement that I will probably be trying a few more recipes with the ViSalus products! However, I need to finish eating my apple pie slice first!
Are there any recipes you’d like me to try with the Vi-Shape Shake Mix?